School meals in Carmarthenshire are provided by Carmarthenshire’s County Council’s Catering Division.
This section of the website is aimed at parents, teachers and both primary and secondary school pupils.
Schools are ideal places to encourage children to eat healthier options by helping to prevent childhood obesity and other health related problems. Our experienced and fully trained staff can support you in caring for your child by following a healthy and tempting menu that meets the Welsh Nutritional Guidelines. It is our aim to ensure that all pupils can be provided with a healthy, nutritious meal and those on special diets are also catered for.
We work in partnership with Carmarthenshire’s Local Public Health Team and the NHS Paediatric Dieticians to develop our menus and one of our main priorities is to increase the uptake of fruit and vegetables in children.
Each school day, our catering staff produce in excess of 19,000 meals in over 130 education establishments. We take Food Hygiene very seriously and in addition to a comprehensive staff training plan, we have an excellent quality assurance system that limits all risks and hazards associated with catering operations to ensure food is prepared in the safest environment possible.
The Food We Use
All of our suppliers have to meet certain standards of quality and hygiene before being considered as suitable providers.
· We buy food locally wherever possible.
· We support ethical procurement practices and purchase a number of Fairtrade and Organic produce.
· We do not knowingly use food containing Genetically Modified Ingredients.
· We take care to limit the amount of salt used in cooking.
· Wherever possible we oven cook products to reduce the fat content in our dishes.
· We comply with the Welsh Assembly Government’s ‘Appetite for Life’ Nutritional Standards for School Lunches.
· We actively promote and encourage healthy eating and like to make eating meals an enjoyable and valuable experience.
Other benefits of eating a school meal:
· Time saved in the mornings not having to prepare lunch, plus there is no worry about keeping the food fresh and hygienic until lunchtime.
· Our meals offer value for money. Your child/children can enjoy a 2 two course meal for only £2.00(primary), and £2.00(comprehensive) per day.
· Children benefit from sitting down and eating together at a table; pupils are also encouraged to try new foods.
· All meals are nutritionally balanced and offer variety from one day to the next.
· We cater for vegetarians and those children with medical and religious dietary needs.
· We hold regular themed day menu’s plus a special two course Christmas lunch during the month of December.