Wales has its own substance misuse strategy, Tackling Substance Misuse in Wales: a partnership approach, which was launched in May 2000. It covers illegal drugs, alcohol, over the counter and prescription only medicines and volatile substances.
From April 1st 2003, responsibility for planning and implementing actions to tackle substance misuse rests with the Community Safety Partnership. The Carmarthenshire Substance Misuse Action Plan 2005 – 2008 identified the key substance misuse issues and actions to be undertaken to tackle these issues. To view the full Action Plan, click on the link below:
Carmarthenshire Substance Misuse Action Plan
The Action Plan is a source of information for service users, planners, commissioners and service providers. Carmarthenshire Council is working closely with partner agencies across the county to provide and develop services to help any individuals and their families facing difficulties caused by the misuse of drugs and/or alcohol.
The following areas have been identified as priorities for the Community Safety Partnership over the next 3 years:
- Reduction in the levels of substance misuse of all types
- Increase in the availability of services for people who wish to deal with a substance misuse problem that they have
- Delivery of services that are proven to be effective and that are responsive to changing needs and demands
- Reduction in crime associated with substance misuse
- Support children and young people both in not being involved in substance misuse and in dealing with any impact that it might have on their families and friends
- To ensure a positive impact on the health and social well being of the people of Carmarthenshire by lessening substance misuse
- Ensure that urban and rural areas of Carmarthenshire will be treated equally in accordance with measured service need
Information collected by the Welsh Assembly Government show the following statistics for Carmarthenshire. In a typical 3 month period there were 262 new referrals of clients with substance dependency issues. The reasons for the referrals are broken down as follows:
- 144 for alcohol dependency
- 38 Heroin dependency
- 35 Cannabis
- 19 Amphetamines
- 1 Cocaine
- 4 Crack Cocaine
- 21 Other [including prescription medicine]
Anyone wanting assistance with individual substance misuse problems can contact their local GP for a referral to an appropriate agency.
Alternatively advice and assistance can be sought from the following agencies that offer help and support to people suffering from drug and alcohol problems.
All the services listed below are free and confidential.
Alcoholics Anonymous 24 Hour Helpline - 0845 7697555
For a list of meetings in your local area
Chooselife Family/Drop in Centre
Canalfan Antioch Centre
For advice and support for substance misusers and their families in Llanelli
For advice on alcohol issues across Carmarthenshire
Drug and alcohol advice and support for young people under 18 years old
West Wales Substance Misuse Service
Drug support service for over 18s
To provide information on drug dealing activity in your area please contact the Dyfed Powys Police Intelligence Unit on 0845 330 2000. All information is treated in strictest confidence and you do not have to give your name if you do not wish to do so.